Help us help others:
We are searching for a Direct Support Professional (DSP) who will provide assistance with various aspects of daily life including but not limited to providing transportation, help with finances, maintaining numerous household responsibilities to include meals, cleaning, and safety. The DSP will provide documentation in compliance with HHSC and organizational standards and support with a high level of customer service. The DSP will arrange social and community-based activities to encourage socialization and skills training to aid in individual growth. This compassionate, caring, and supportive team member will contribute to the skills improvement, achievements, and overall lifetime potential success of an individual living with a disability and their state of wellbeing.
You will get to:
- Assess individual needs, support, and collaborate with them to accomplish daily living activities to include personal hygiene.
- Provide relevant skills training to improve everyday life while ensuring individual’s safety.
- Assist individuals with meal preparation, finances, and home cleanliness.
- Assist individuals with transportation, socialization, and access to community resources.
- Ensure an environment free of hazards.
- Monitor and assist with documentation of individuals’ self-administered medication.
You’ll definitely need:
- High school diploma, GED, or competency test with 3 letters of recommendation.
- Ability to complete Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behavior (PMAB) training.
**To help prevent injury to clients and staff, you must be able to successfully perform and demonstrate the physical skills to competently perform Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behavior. This can be both mentally and physically challenging. You will learn: the principles and methods of PMAB, decision-making, judgment, effective communication and, when necessary, the ability to physically intervene in real-life work situations when aggressive behavior is exhibited by the people we serve. To successfully demonstrate the physical procedures up through intermediate protection you must be able to: scoot backwards, pivot to the side, pull with either arm, grasp a wrist, with either hand, pull with either arm, bend forward at the waist, lie on your back with your knees up and ankles crossed, and return quickly to a standing position. Additionally, in order to perform the physical restraint procedures, you must be able to: lift and/or support at least 55 lbs, and while supporting a person, step back, go down to one knee, and gently lower person to the floor; lie in a prone position, and kneel on either knee. **To have a valid Texas State Driver’s License.
- To have current automobile insurance and the ability to travel to individuals when necessary.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance. Able to push, pull, lift and / or carry over 20 pounds
- Able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone
- Ability to provide CPR after obtaining Certification
We’ll also want you to:
- Employ excellent verbal and written communication skills to engage and report effectively.
- Maintain a well-organized schedule and travel as necessary to ensure completion of duties.
- Maintain accurate and timely collaborative documentation with adherence to HIPPA regulations.
- Sustain a calm demeanor when under pressure to handle sometimes difficult situations.
- Provide exemplary customer service and care to individuals with their best interest at heart.
- Work autonomously to complete assignments within community and HHSC standards with a high level of quality.
- Work cooperatively with others and be punctual and consistent in attendance because your people will rely on you!
We have options!
- Dayhab (typically 8am-4pm) – responsibilities are more social, transportation, day-time activities-focused (travel to dayhab facilities, appointments, community activities, etc.).
- Residential (typically 4pm-12am; 12am-8am – responsibilities are more home-based responsibilities (meals, housekeeping, etc.) and night-time activities-focused.
- Flexible schedules can be coordinated and there are opportunities for overtime pay!
We’re excited to provide:
- PPO health insurance plan, with option to add dependents.
- PPO dental plans and vision insurance options for healthy teeth and eyes.
- Employer paid life insurance.
- 403(b) and 457 retirement plan options with company matching (457) to build retirement savings so you can retire someday.
- Generous paid time off for fun and vacations and paid sick time for when you’re under the weather.
- Authentic and caring environment where folks care about each other.
We can pay you:
$15.00 per hour and benefits plus good karma for doing good in the world.